So it’s a little late, but better late than never, right?
Qualify for the Provincials at the Young Horse Performance Series.
– Done! We needed two completions and we have three. So we finished last at two of them (and won the last one! … OK, so nobody else showed up), but who cares? We’re going. The logistics are going to be a bit fun, considering finals are on the same day as the Jacaranda Nooitie show, but at least we can cross this off our list.
Compete, graded, at the higher Novice tests.I’m calling this done. We did Novice 4 and 5 graded and Novice 6 at YHPS, which is a similar standard. We’ll continue to compete higher Novice for the rest of the year to get our grading points (one down, four to go).
- Go to a jumping training show at a low level. Eh, maybe after YHPS. We at least can jump now, but every time I do a jumping training show I find myself with a horsebox full of kids and ponies, so we’ll have to see.
- School lower level Elementary successfully. We’ve done most of the movements, but I’m not crossing this off until we’ve done a couple of complete tests at home.
- Compete in any available Nooitgedachter shows. In the process of doing! We’ve done two out of the three annual Nooitie shows and are tentatively aiming for the third one – with YHPS finals being on the same day, it’s a bit complicated.
- Go double clear at EV7o – Still aiming for this one. We did go double clear at a stadium event, but that doesn’t quite count. Our next full horse trial in August will be at EV60 to build our confidence, then we’re back at EV70 if it goes well.
- School Elementary Medium 1 and 2 – We’ve done some of the movements, but not the full tests just yet.
- Compete Elementary – Not yet. We have most of our grading points and have happily schooled the level, so it’s just a matter of getting out there.
Gallop through water– Done! At a schooling, not a show, but we came down a bank, through the water and over a fence without breaking rhythm.
Finish getting back the topline muscle he lost when he was sick. School Novice 4, 5,and 6. We’re so close to finishing Novice 6, too. None of our tests are awesome – we’d be very hard put to get 60% – but all I want is for him to benefit from the flatwork schooling, so just doing the moves as well as we can is fine by me.
- Make 90cm our comfort zone at home. – We were so close! In fact we were popping 90cm at home and now we’ve taken it back down a few notches. It’s no fault of my precious Magic’s; he could probably do like 1.20m right now with his eyes closed. However he needs his nervous saddle monkey and after our little tumble a few weeks ago, I’m not there yet. So the journey goes, and so God makes something more amazing through His plan than anything I planned for.
Show graded at 70cm.
- Show at 80cm, graded or training. – We were close to this one, too! We may still do it yet. Magic certainly can. We just need a few confidence-boosting rounds at 70cm first.
- Bathing. – There’s been improvement, but we’ll finish this up properly in the summer when he won’t hate me for spraying ice water on him.
Loading. Continued improvement on injections.Yay! He is still by no means an easy critter to inject, but we’re progressing. He just had his AHS shot and when my helper and I caught him he smelt a rat and went ballistic, but after about five minutes of reassurance, he decided that he wasn’t going to be injected after all so he stood perfectly still and didn’t even notice when I slipped the needle in. It’s all in his empty little brain. We’ll see how he does with his next shot in three weeks.
- Lunging over poles.
- Introduction to small free jumps.
- Basic aids in walk. – Ugh, I so want to get on this horse now! His groundwork is done apart from poles and jumps. I literally just have to throw a leg over him and teach him to whoa, go and turn. But with his still being entire, working him isn’t feasible at the yard right now. As soon as the colt is a gelding we’ll bring him back and I’ll probably be able to finish this in a few weeks.
Taking every second of this year as it comes, hand in hand with the King ❤
One thought on “Q2 Goal Review”
Everything is easier when The King is involved. I look forward to your next report and seeing a whole lot more strikethroughs 😀